(Call on individuals to read the story, each student reading tow or three sentences at a time. Ask the specified questions as students read)
- What is the story going to tell about?
- Everybody, do ice floes cover the land or the ocean?
- Everybody, how thick does the ice floe get in some places during the winter?
- Why can you walk out on the ocean in the winter?
- How big are the very big chunks of ice that break off?
- The next part tells about the sounds. Imagine those sounds as we read about them.
Pairing the story with the following article, Building Relationships out on the Ice in Kotzebue, Alaska (Story setting)