Thursday, February 11, 2016

Oral Reading Self-Assessment

Students recently read Older Dog Cries at a Shelter When Owners Leave with Younger Pup

What the text tells me before I read
o   Who is the author? What do I know about this author?
o   When was it written? Is that important?
o   What is the title? What does that suggest?
o   Are their chapter titles?
o   Is there vocabulary I need to know before I read?
Then read the following passage from the 1st page.
Cookie the cocker spaniel, who's believed to be between 10 and 15 years old, and a Labrador retriever were turned into the City of San Bernardino Animal Control after they were found wandering the city streets. 
When the family that owned the dogs went to the shelter to pick them up on Dec. 30, the owners chose to take the young Lab home and left Cookie. 
Confused and scared, the older companion cried and howled as the owners walked out of the building and walked out of her life. 
According to one dog-related website, this happens all too often; owners leave older dogs at shelters and trade them in for younger pups. 
But lucky for Cookie, word of her story spread quickly.  
Student's used 4 verbs to describe their response after reading passage.
1. ________________ 2. ________________
3. ________________ 4. ________________

Students will begin by reading short passages. They will use the Oral Reading Self-Assessment Rubric as a starting point.

Modified using Poetry Passages to Develop Fluency 
  
Paired Reading: If Dogs Could Talk

If Dogs Could Talk

If dogs could talk what would they say?
Maybe, hey you come let's play
Go grab the ball and the Frisbee
Lets play a game just you and me.

Maybe they'd say don't leave me out here
I want to be with you, close and near
I don't want to be tied to this chain
Will you bring me inside out of the rain?

What would a dog say on being a stray
Maybe hey you I've lost my way
I'm hungry and thirsty and lonely too
Hey maybe I can come home with you?

The dog in a shelter must have allot to say
What did I do to end up this way
Can you take me home and give me a name
I once had a family, this just isn't the same

I don't want to fight, a dog once said
All I want is a nice soft bed
It hurts to fight and be ripped apart
Why don't we make a brand new start

A major discussion goes on everyday
Why oh why are we stuck in this cage
Will you leave us go and let us be free
This isn't right, why can't you see

So if dogs could talk what would they say
They'd say I love you and with me you could play
We'll go for walks and relax in the sun
Now wouldn't all that be such fun

But they can't talk, but look in their eyes
Those eyes say more than one can surmise
They're devoted and loyal and oh so true
All they want is to be with you.

Candi Lynn 
Response to Reading: What would Cookie have said? Or Shared?

No comments:

Post a Comment